Friday, January 29, 2010

Iowa City Revisited

So, Interview Season is done. I'm home recovering from my third head cold and second bout of bronchitis, on steroids and antibiotics for the second time in three months. Yes, it was a little stressful visiting all the germ pools in America, but fun too, mostly because I got to reconnect with friends and family in places I have not visited in a long time. My favorite visit was to Iowa City, where I was most excited to discover that the tree we planted for Isabel in my crazy artist days--placenta at the roots and all--is still there. We planted it next to the parking lot at the Blooming Prairie warehouse where we thought they could use a tree one day. It's not like a parking lot is a hospitable place so we didn't have so much hope. But, there it is, now much taller than Isabel will ever be. I also got to see Ingrid and Kaia (spelling) and meet Ingrid's husband Dave Widitz, a psychiatrist at the hospital there, who shared his secret for getting through residency--Diet coke--by the filecabinetfull, no less! I was so happy to see them all I was reminded of how much I wish that I could make everyone that I like live near by. I don't know what match day will bring, but I am glad to know that there are good people everywhere I applied.








No comments:

Blog Archive

Contributors